A good Monday afternoon to you all! I hope your day has been as good as mine has been so far. My day’s great because I made a new dress this morning, and even got it out for a picture or two. Let me not give myself too much credit though. I actually cut this dress out in January, I think? Or was it December? It has been hanging in my sewing queue since then, and I hadn’t really given it a second thought. I had even traced out most all of the darts for the thing, so it’s not like there was a lot left to do with it except sew it up.
Just like I hate cooking in a messy kitchen, I hate sewing in a messy sewing room, and I get tired of seeing all these unfinished projects hanging up when I want to start something new. I felt like I was in need of a new dress this weekend. After that last make that I still haven’t quite fallen in love with all the way, I wanted something that would be a little more thrilling. I thought to go with another Sew Serendipity Monique dress, but still had to rinse the fabric that I wanted to use. I knew by the time I did a load of laundry, my sewing energy would be gone for the night. I bit the bullet and dragged out one of those unfinished projects I knew I should get done.
Here are my thoughts on my version of a Burda 6562.
First thought, how on earth do I make those skirt pleats!? I scratched my head on this one for a bit as I blankly looked at the instructions. I even took to google to see if anyone had made this dress and had some insights. I read and reread what the instructions told me to do, but still couldn’t make sense of it. If I understood the illustration right, my guess was I had to sew the pleat closest to the fold to the pleat on the opposite side of it in a straight line down. Then, I had to sew the pleat lines down instead of just pressing them. Well, that is what I did and once I got done with it, I realized that I had figured it out. That was the trickiest part of this whole dress, and everything else but the arms was a breeze.
The arms! Oh, sleeves, you are my sewing nemesis! I got them set in beautifully; not one single wrinkle or fold. I tried the dress on, and the sleeve line was half way down my shoulder. The dress actually looked like it had sleeves before I even put the sleeves in it. So that wasn’t going to work and I started with the first of many seam ripped stitches. I left the sleeves and went on to top stitching the neck with a double needle attachment on my machine. Using a double needle worked great for me the first time I used it when I hemmed my boys work shirts, this time it looked sloppy and loopy. Seam ripper to the rescue. I put that aside and attached the skirt. Perfect! Now, it was back to what I had put off, the sleeves and the top-stitching.
No sleeves was the final decision. Kind of looks like I have sleeves though, doesn’t it? I actually really like the way it looks like this, and next time I make this dress – it’ll be a while – I won’t even bother cutting any sleeves out. What was the hard part now was trying to get a decent looking hem. I pressed it over, it looked too stretched out. I used fusible interfacing on one side, it didn’t look that bad. I tried using a stay strip, it ended up wavy. I was at the end of my rope and about to just leave it serged, then I remembered I had accidentally cut out two neck bands. I cut the extra in half, folded it and made a band for the hem of the sleeve. Perfect! Finally.
Now, the neck band on the other hand, it ended up loose. I didn’t understand how this was supposed to be stitched at the ends with the instructions so I may have finished it wrong. The neck looks loose, but I can live with it. It almost looks like it should be that way. At least my guy said so. He told me when I was done he really liked the way the neck looked like that. Um, thanks! I should have just left it at that, but I tend to always point out my mistakes. Oh, well, I kind of really like the way the neck looks too, mistake or not.
What I like the most about this pattern/dress, the pleats. They look really neat, and I was trying to point them out in the picture, but it’s hard to see them. It just looks like I don’t know how to pose for photos.
I think that my material was too stretchy too work with. It almost could have been legging material. It has some spandex in it I think and it is really heavy. Next time I will go with a lighter weight knit and I think that will make all the difference.
Final thoughts: I’m not too disappointed. It was my first time making a Burda pattern and I manged all right. I will wear this dress, and I know it will even be a winter favorite with tights. How can I even think of tights on a day like today though. The humidity has been bad and we’ve been well over 100 with the heat index. I am really looking forward to tights season right about now.
Thanks for reading!
8 Replies to “Burda 6562”
Love it! Definitely don’t need those sleeves!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Nope, no sleeves needed. Makes the make that much easier. 🙂
Thanks for your comment; glad to hear you like it.
I love the fabric choice. I love the pleats too. I think it looks great!
Thank you! I’m happy to get some good feed back on this one. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
It’s beautiful! I have been looking at this pattern since Burda are on sale now😁. TFS.
I always come across some great Burda makes online. I’m happy with the pattern, and I think I will get myself a few others next time they are on sale. I always go a little pattern crazy when they are on sale. 🙂
I really like the pattern and material colors you chose for this one. I agree and like the way the neck turned out on it also. Great job !!! 👏👏👏
Thanks, Kathy! I am always happy to hear your thoughts on what I make. ❤