Rejoice for the Day

Hello, and a happy soon to be Me Made Monday to you all.  It’s been awhile, hasn’t it?  I was feeling particularly photogenic this weekend, and it wan’t terribly humid out, so I thought I’d start to catch up with some of my recent makes.  This dress is from July.  I spent a good several weeks making it, a little here and a little there, and once I was done, I threw it in the washer in hopes that it would shrink a little.  Happy to say it did.  I haven’t felt up to ironing it since it came out of the wash, so in my closet it has been stashed away.

(Stock photo; mine is a size 16, bust 34)

The material was from Walmart, the clearance fabric rack, and I bought all they had.  I never pre-washed it so that’s why I was hoping for a little shrinkage.  From the very beginning I was worried that this dress was going to be a bit on the big side considering I was making it not according to the suggested seam allowance.  I don’t think any of my vintage patterns are the same size and before this one, I hadn’t completed a single one yet.  I don’t know what size fits me best, but I do know I would definitely rather have a too big dress than a too little one.

IMG_7729 (Edited)

IMG_7748 (Edited)

In my size-concerned state, I omitted the back darts and I went with 1/2 inch seam allowance at the sides and shoulders.  Once the dress was done, I ended up making a 1/2 inch fold down the center back to make up for how loose it ended up being.  It was either that or unpick the skirt from the top and redo it with the original back darts.  This way was much easier.  I also cut my regular 1 inch off the bodice and instead of making the skirt as the pattern instructed, I made it with gathered rectangles.  And that was it for my construction notes.  Next time I will make it exactly as is, except for that bodice adjustment.

I found myself with a few questions and uncertainties while making this dress, but I just read and reread the steps until I thought I knew what I was supposed to do.  Google was no help and I didn’t find any other versions of this dress online.  Perhaps mine will be the first.  Everything worked out just fine, because it was finished with all the seams intact and not too different looking from the pattern picture.  Except that silhouette; how were waists that tiny way back when.  Must have been the overly puffy skirt…

What do you think?  I will make another one some day, but for now, I think I am going to revert back to a tried and true for my next make.  That very well could change though, so we shall see what I end up deciding on.

Thanks for reading and I’d love your comments and critiques.  ❤

Erika

One Reply to “The Dixie Belle Dress”

Don't leave yet! Tell me what you think.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: