Well hello there, blog readers! It is another month in this sewing challenge of mine, and I have once again finished another dress. Let me tell ya, I get happier and happier every month with my sewing-self, and it seems I am accumulating many new favorites! Yet another favorite, if not my most favorite, of the homemade sort, April’s Dress.
I went with a different pattern this time, Simplicity 1803. It was one of five I bought back in January when Joanne’s was having a 5 for $5 sale. The material came from fabric.com and it was a bit of a splurge for me since I usually only shop the clearance racks. Not too bad price wise really, just over $20.00 for the three yards. I love a good geometric print, even more so when it is some of my favorite colors!
The dress was easy to make. I had no troubles at all, until it was done that is. I initially made the armhole openings a bit bigger just because of my last dress, but then once I got it all together realized it was unnecessary. It was an easy fix to get that taken care of though, so no problems there. Then, when I was done and trying it on for the third time, I thought it might be worth it to take it in just a bit at the front center bodice seam. Should be easy, just a little unpicking here, a small stitch up there and… Well, it was easy to do all of this, but I messed up and serged the facing just a bit too short and therefore lost that nice flat, under-stitched look at the front center. My only option without redoing the front facing was to finish it with a top stitch, which I was initially really happy not to have to do. Oh, well, it still looks great. I just need to perfect my perfecting! (It was fine before I went and messed with it.)
I put in some cap sleeves opposed to my usual no sleeves. I was nervous because I always seem to dislike the look and feel of most sleeves that I make on dresses. Not this time, I was very happy with the way they came out. I found that the instructions for this pattern had better directions for most of the things that I normally have trouble with. This got me thinking. I read a few months back how the cheaper patterns are the hardest to work with, and while I wouldn’t exactly call Simplicity patterns high-priced, they usually run just under the $10 range, they do cost more than the $3.00 New Look patterns I have sewn from the most. (Wal-Mart is my hometown mall after all.) After this dress though, my conclusion is that Simplicity is a much better pattern brand to work with. I think I will be skipping the cheap brands and finding the equivalent in something a little more tried and true from here on out, even if it means I have to wait until I get to the big city. I haven’t noticed too much trouble with New Look skirts though, so I guess I can still get a few of those now and again.
Next up on my sewing agenda, I am planning on a quick skirt. I finally got the backing for my quilt, and I threw in a few yards from the sale pages to make the shipping free. Although, my sewing time is gonna now have to be shared with my outside time, and I am not too sure how I feel about that… But if this rain and dreariness or wind continues, I won’t be outside much anyway.
A dress that holds up well in the wind, bonus! And I promise I really do iron my dresses. It just never looks like it.
This blog of mine is just all over the place, I know. From dresses, to photos of insects, and really everything in between! Funny thing is that my sewing posts get me some of the most feedback, and I love it! Stay tuned, my next post will be about something completely different, that I am sure…
Thanks for reading, and as always, I would love to hear what you have to say.
Outfit details: Dress – made by me // Shoes – Route 66 // Necklace – made by me
Linking up with: Passion for Fashion, Simple Sequins, Sew and Tell Saturday, Maybe She Made It