First off, I know it is the first Thursday of the month and my post should be all about the wonderful thrifted things that I wear. Sorry, this post is not about anything like that this week. I am blaming the weather. It’s been rainy and dreary FOR DAYS and I haven’t had a chance to get any outfit photos. So a new Me-Made dress post will have to do for today.
I couldn’t decide whether to call this one Tangled in Green or Scribbled in Green. I guess since the material was called tangled mosaic, the tangled title would be fine. (Who names their dresses anyway? I guess if you are blogging about them, it makes distinguishing them from the others a little easier. Plus, it’s just fun to give them all a name.)
The Tangled Green dress was an easy make for me. I only had two yards of this fabric and I had been putting off making anything with it for a while because I already have a dress that is almost this same color exactly. I bought the material because I liked the look of it, but mostly because it was on sale. Last week, while browsing fabric, again, I found some more material that I just had to have, but there was only 2 yards available. What kind of dress could I make with just two yards I thought. Then I remembered I had this stuff, and it became my two yard trial dress so I will have an idea of what to do with the other two yards of material that I am anxiously awaiting…
Two yards was perfect for what I made. I didn’t have enough for the arm or neck binding though, but I did have some scraps that did a fine job. In fact, I just love the way the contrast of the binding looks. Maybe next time I will be bold and go with a reversed binding and have the contrast on the outside.
Now the details about the dress. I used my modified neck, Simplicity 2444 for the front bodice; my Butterick 5748, modified back bodice; and the skirt portion from Simplicity 1418. So basically, a version of my first pattern hack here, with a different skirt. I took away the back seam in the bodice to make it one piece front and back and still went with a side inserted zipper. When I make my next, I am going to go with an invisible zipper just because I think it will give it a cleaner look.
As far as the fabric and fit go, I had some mixed feelings about these. The design of the material, I love, but the fabric itself was a little flimsier than I am used to working with for dresses. It is a little on the thin side. I could have lined this bodice and not have ended up with much bulk, but there was that little issue of not having a lot of material. It will do fine as a summer dress. I think the fit is a bit snugger than my last version and I couldn’t figure out how that happened. I sewed my seam allowances the same as last time, so I am blaming the fabric, because I know I may be a few pounds over my normal weight, but I also know that my other version of this dress fits just fine. It isn’t me is what I am saying, so it has to be the material. 😉
Final thoughts, I am very happy with the dress. The bodice pleats from this pattern are one of my favorites, and the pleats on the skirt are a wonderful finishing touch. You will see another one of these very soon I am sure, because as soon as I get my next two yards of fabric, I am off to the sewing room.
Categories: Made by Me