I was not looking forward to this Monday. Usually, I don’t mind Mondays at all, but this one is a little different. It’s almost like the Monday after vacation when you still wish you were on vacation instead of going back to your regular everyday life. Yeah, that is what this Monday is like for me. But, it is what it is, back to normal, so I guess I better get on with it.
As I write, there is a very nice downpour going on outside and depending on how bad it gets, I may or may not lose power. These winter thunderstorms tend to flicker the lights from time to time, and I am hoping it doesn’t get that bad because I have yet another dress to tell you all about today. More like show you because it is from a pattern that I have already made lots of dresses from and there really isn’t much left to say about it.
Naming my dresses is something I sometimes do, but nothing came to me for this one. I usually get inspiration from what the fabric makes me think of, or even from what the fabric might be called, but nothing came to mind for this. So a Dress With No Name is what I shall call it for the purpose of this blog post.
If you are familiar with any of my repeat sewing projects, this is another Monique dress from Sew Serendipity. It has become one of the easiest for me to make, and I was in a hurry to turn this African wax into something wearable. I didn’t go with a contrasting waistband for once, and hoped using the same material in a different direction would look alright – not too bad if I may say. If I didn’t like it, I was not worried because once again, I got 6 yards of this stuff and probably only used two to make this dress. I can definitely turn this fabric into something else should I get tired of the way this one looks.
This is my second time working with African wax and this material was a little different than my last. This is stiffer and definitely needs a good ironing compared to what I used for the Kaleidoscope Dress. I changed one little detail for this make compared to my other Monique dresses. I decided, in a split second, to go with an exposed zipper – in red. Oh, and for the sake of keeping track of how I made this one differently than the others, I finally sized down to an XS, and cut the arm opening like the Marilyn dress pattern, which made all the difference in fit.
I love the fabric and this is one of my favorite patterns, but this particular make was not my best. It’s also not my worst so I am still happy with it. I will wear it plenty, and probably just as much through winter as I do through summer. The good news with this make though, is that I think I have finally perfected this pattern to my liking.
Dress number 114 has now been added to my closet.
Categories: Made by Me