A good Me-Made almost Monday to ya! It’s been wet and rainy over where I am and I am glad I got pictures of this dress when I did. Two reasons: one, the current rain and humidity; two, my back yard now looks nothing like it did when I took these pics a mere two weeks ago. I am kind of sad about that, but there is nothing I can do. The people who own the land behind us have loggers clearing all the trees and it’s a mess back there. I very much miss my former backyard views, kudzu and all. It’ll probably be back to posing in front of the red fence from here on out.
But enough of that, I know of few of my readers are here specifically to hear about what I’ve made. This month, it’s a McCall’s 6958. Another one I scored from the wonderful pattern sales at Joann’s. I can’t help it, I’ve said it before, fabric and patterns are my vice. I have a long running pattern wish list over on Pinterest which comes in very handy when I find myself at Joann’s and there is a pattern sale. I quickly scroll through my list and grab a few that I’ve been wanting. And this one, I’ve had on that list for quite awhile now. In fact, I didn’t even know I wanted it.
Why it took so long to get it, I don’t know. It matches all my criteria. Fit and flare, check; unlined, check; sleeveless, check; neat design feature, check; and perfect neckline, check. Plus the dress is great for printed fabric since it pretty much has four long pieces to cut out without a chop at the waist.
It’s an easy dress to make and I sewed it up in one day. The tucks in the front and the back are the design feature I mentioned, and after doing tucks a few times, they aren’t as bad as I initially thought they were. (I may make that Burda 6592 again after all.)
The finished measurements put me at a 10, and I wavered a bit on whether or not to fold the pattern at the ‘shorten for petite’ line. When I first make a dress, I usually like to just cut and make it as intended then see where I should adjust next time. As I am always having to adjust where dresses hit my waist, I went ahead and shortened it right away. That was a good call! It was perfect. (By now, I don’t even know why I contemplate this. I almost always shorten at the waist.)
So the dress was pretty much finished, I could zip it up and see how it really fit, then I realized I should have taken some out of the back. It’s been awhile since I’ve made a dress that fit too loosely, and I thought I’d be fine to let it be, but it just gaped too much at the top center of the back neckline where the zipper was, I had to do something about it. I undid the zipper and folded some out from the top of the back tuck to the top and re-zipped. Now, my back neckline was off. I knew such a thing would probably happen as it usually does when I start messing with the fit after the fact. I’ve read there is such a thing as over fitting a garment. Well, at this point, I just wanted to be done, so I adjusted the back facing on the unmatched side and called it a day.
I should have no complaints and I find it funny whatever complaints I do have about my dresses when I first make them up and write about them here, I forget all about them, the trouble I had, and what was even wrong with it later on after wearing it. I have surprised myself more than once about what I thought was wrong with some of my dresses when I get back over here and reread my posts months later. My first Emery dress is one such example. (I love wearing that dress and never remembered all that I said about it.)
That’s everything about my newest, me-made dress, and the last pictures you’ll be seeing of a lush, tree filled, back yard jungle of a back drop. (I am still very sad about this.)
Linking up with: