warned told you there would be a dress post to come, and here it is.
why does there always have to be wrinkles?
This dress a month thing was not something I came up with all by myself. Since Me-Made-May, and even since the beginning of the year, I have been wanting to sew more, and since May, I have come across another blog that I started keeping track of. She sews a dress a month, and as I was looking through her collection, I thought, what a great idea! A perfect way for me to get better with sewing and a month is a good amount of time for a project without feeling rushed. Plus, I can finally get to making all of those patterns I have been hoarding all these years. So, the Ordinary Fashionista was who really got me thinking about this dress-a-month project. (The Goodwill was just my final push into it.)
Now, for October’s dress. I made it last weekend. I started Saturday night just cutting out the bodice. It was only going to be a practice dress and I only needed to make the top. Everything went so well, no mistakes, and no darts! Lately, I keep messing up on those. It seemed so easy, why stop there. But I did stop there for the night, it had gotten late by this time.
The next day I needed to run to Walmart. I was looking for the invisible zipper I had been dreading to put in, and while I was there, I thought they might have some more of the practice material I had bought for the bodice. Things were going so well with my first draft, I figured I should just finish the whole thing. After hunting down the fabric and finding one of only two colors available of invisible zippers, I came home and spent the rest of the afternoon finishing this new dress. My practice run, once again, turned into a finished project. This is why I would rather buy cheap, but nice, and not actual muslin material for my muslins. Sometimes I surprise myself!
Since this wasn’t originally started as the final product, I didn’t add interfacing to the top band, and I didn’t use a contrasting material. I stuck strictly to the way the pattern was supposed to be cut, size and all, and followed every direction exactly. If I was gonna modify anything, I wanted to know just where it was going to have to be. The only modification I did end up making was at the end when I put the zipper on. I had to take in a bit more than what was called for at the top so the dress wouldn’t be too wide when it was zipped up. Oh, and that invisible zipper I was not sure I could figure out… Well, it was the easiest thing ever! And way nicer looking than a regular ol’ zipper. I am a new fan. I had only one mistake on the back, and I think I am the only one who notices this, so I won’t tell. Oh, wait, I just saw one more. Still, I won’t tell about it either. 🙂
Styled for fall with a sweater.
dress – made by me || sweater – Old Navy || shoes – Chic
I just may have another one of these dresses before the month is over, I really like it!
*Linking up today with Passion for Fashion, Favorite Fashion Friday, and with Style Elixir‘s Friday Fab Favorites.
Categories: Made by Me